Thursday, August 06, 2009

Veggies galore...

A friend basically asked me: how much food do you really get from the CSA weekly box? If it's just two of us would it be a good amount or would we be struggling to eat all of it? Here's their FAQ answer.

I guess it's alot, but we're both nearly 100% vegetarian at home, and rarely eat out. So, I buy lots of food at the grocery store to supplement, every week.

From the CSA weekly box link, here's the list, with some estimates of amounts.

Sweet Corn - 7 ears
Tomatoes - 8 or so smallish tomatoes
summer squash - 6 or 7 small squash
Fennel - 1 good-sized bulb
Romanesco - 1 medium head
Strawberries - 1 quart
Scallions - 1 big bunch
Red Butter - 1 medium sized head

If you eat a decent amount of vegetables and especially if you don't eat out very much, I think it's a completely sensible quantity. They have a 4week trial period sometimes, but they may also have a waiting list right now. I'd say give it a try!

Buying from a farmer's market gets you pretty much all the benefits and allows you to control the amounts, tho'... (I think the weekly box is pretty darn cheap, tho', compared to Whole Foods or farmer's market). I pre-payed for the whole year and I think that works out to about $19/week.

No comments: